Friday, May 07, 2010

To mist or not to mist ?


Over at the Color Room this week , 
Dusty Pink, Light Moss Green, Creamy Chamois and Dusky Mauve
 make up the beautiful soft palette .

This blog post title was inspired by Mo's comment on my previous post - 
where I mentioned that misting isn't always
 the best technique to use on a layout sometimes. 

Now I'll try & answer the misting question here for this layout . 

Before starting on this layout,  I was inspired firstly by the colors - 
the Shabby Chic Majestic Breeze pp by Prima  came to mind immediately. 
Next I selected the cardstock/pps that would work with the sketch,
 the palette and my main patterned paper choice. 

& since I was determined to follow the sketch this week , 
it inspired me to use the TA Garden screen which I misted in on the top right hand corner 
and bottom left corner . 
I used GM Black Magic & Viva Pink to give depth & color  to the scroll patterns. 

I also knew that I would want to work in some vines, pearl swirls &  lace trims .
I felt misting here would give a more interesting layer of color & pattern
 for the eventual layers to come. 
Misting with a large screen is also the most efficient way
 to get an intricate pattern in quickly for me  , 
rather than inking .

I wanted the lace trim to have more dimension on the layout here , 
as well as to give it a sort of garland effect perhaps . 

So happy I got over my misting withdrawal now . ;) 

p/s : if you click on the images for a larger view ,
 I dare say they are better than seeing them IRL ! LOL! 


15 comments:

Audra said...

gorgeous layout!! LOVE that misting!! you did an amazing job working with those beautiful colors!!

T.W said...

Incredible work! So soft and beautiful. The misting looks lovely over all the layers, and you know just were and what kind of elements to add to make the LO perfect. And that photo is so pretty too!
Amazing LO as usual~

Wendy Kwok said...

Wonderful misting and choice of colors. I can't do purple but you made it soooo beautiful!

Darien said...

Well You did Fabulous!!! I love it!! Beautiful pps!!

Unknown said...

Aaaaaahhhh......TO MIST!!!!! I love the colors you used! Man, I need to get my hands on those masks!!! The things I could dooooooo..............lovely work as always Pearl! He he...so happy you used that title!!!

deb famularo said...

Whoa, ultra FABULOUS details here! just love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BabyBokChoy said...

When in doubt, spritz a few droplets of mist, you can't go wrong with this. And your layout is phenomenal. You achieved that pastel look based on the inspiration photo and color palette like no one else, GOOD JOB, I love it, really do, much better than my crap, seriously!

Jennifer Shaw said...

Pearl you captured the palette so perfectly! This LO is stunning!! So soft with so much dimension! So beautiful!! I don't have a clue what I'll do for this one, but I love the vintage vibe to this palette.

Jennifer Shaw said...

Hi Pearl!! Me again!! ;) I'm loving your new blog header and background!! Wonderful!! :)

Christiane said...

* ... that's the question!! *
this is such a beautiful page, pearl!!
:))))

Lynette Jacobs said...

I love the new blog header with your beautiful bird cage...perfectly showcases your amazing talent my friend.

The layouts arrived and I am thrilled...they are currently on display in my living room...thank you for your generosity and love:-)

Susan Hurley-Luke said...

Thank you for explaining the thought behind the process, Pearl. It's great to see 'inside' your mind. Are those flowers handmade? They are gorgeous. And of course I LOVE the misting :) The whole page is beautiful.

Shamma Parvin said...

Hi Pearl, nice take for Color Room this week. Lovely page :) btw,Happy Mother's Day too :)
Hugs
Shamma

Kim said...

Yes definitely to MIST!!! another awesomely gorgeous girly page I hope to get around to thi scolour pallette this week

Peggy said...

Absolutely gorgeous!
xxx Peggy